After completion of this unit students will be able to
- To explain the role of Rossby-waves for the dynamics of extra-tropical cyclones by means of the Bjerknes polar frontal theory
- Distinguish between warm and cold fronts by their cloud morphology, the change in thermodynamical state variables, their dynamical behavior and slope
- Analyze weather accossiated with frontal passages
- Watch this video
- Read chapter 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206 (included) and 6.10 to 220.127.116.11 (included) of Lectures in Meteorology
- Answer the questionnaire by 1500 AST the day before class.
You can get a printout of the powerpoint presentation here.