- Examination of the vertical structure of the atmosphere with respect to stability and stratification
- Being able to use of the material learned in previous units within the framework of thermodynamic charts and synoptic interpretation of the vertical profiles of the atmosphere
- Distinguish and compare atmospheric stratification and stability
- Watch this video on the material that will be discussed in class
- Read chapter 2.10 to 126.96.36.199 (included) of Lectures in Meteorology and take notes
- Be able to present the material learned
- Fill out the questionnaire by 1500 AST the day before class.
- Revise your answers in the questionnaire after the class, if needed.
The slides used in the video are here.
Q: What does Γs denote?
A: Saturated lapse rate also called moist adiabatic lapse rate of the air parcel, which varies with height and pressure. Think about why it varies as a function of pressure.
Q: Also is γ the lapse rate for the environment?
Q: What’s the symbol for the dry adiabatic lapse rate?
In class, we will discuss, among other things, these problems.