After completion of this unit students will be able to connect thermodynamic, cloud microphysical and dynamical concepts to
- interpret extra-tropical cyclones in terms of the conveyor belt theory
- explain jet dynamics, and calculate the speed of the jet based on the thermal wind equation
- explain the general circulation
- Watch this video
- Read chapter 188.8.131.52 included) and pp. 465-469 (included) in chapter 7 of Lectures in Meteorology.
- Answer questionnaire by 1500 AST the day before the next class.
You can get a printout of the powerpoint presentation here.
Frontal slope explanation
Among other problems, we will apply the learned material to these tasks.