Conveyor belt model
This unit introduces the concept of the Conveyor belt. In contrast to the Bjerknes model, this model focuses on the paths that the cold, warm and dry air masses take in the cyclone. It also links the jets, polar front and cyclone.
After completion of this unit students will be able to connect thermodynamic, cloud microphysical and dynamical concepts to
- interpret extra-tropical cyclones in terms of the conveyor belt theory
- explain jet dynamics, and calculate the speed of the jet based on the thermal wind equation
- explain the general circulation
- Watch this video
- Read chapter 22.214.171.124 included) and pp. 465-469 (included) in chapter 7 of Lectures in Meteorology.
- Answer questionnaire by the deadline.
- Study this schematic view of the frontal slope explanation.
- Solve the problems assigned at your class level in this unit 22 task sheet and submit the scanned solutions by Thursday at 2359 Alaska time.
© 2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved