After completion of this unit students are able to
- interpret weather maps by applying the thermal wind concept
- apply the concepts of a barotopic or barocline atmosphere to identify cold and warm air advection and discuss fronts
- utilize the continuity equation to discuss atmospheric process
- distinguish between compressible and incompressible flow
- apply Reynolds averaging to the primitive equations
- explain the Bousinessq approximation and the inelastic approach
- explain the closure problem of turbulence and distinguish between 1st and 2nd order closure
- Watch this video
- Read chapter 6.4.6 to 6.6 (included) and 6.8 to 220.127.116.11 (included) of Lectures in Meteorology
- Answer the questionnaire by 1500 AST the day before class.
You can find the powerpoint presentation here.
Based on the learned material, we will discuss and solves these tasks.